Student in Andreas Lobby

Financial Aid Facts

There are two basic types of financial aid: gift aid and self-help aid.

Gift Aid

Is assistance you receive that does not have to be repaid such as scholarships and grants.

Federal Programs

PELL Grant

Eligibility for this program is based on financial need. The program provides funds to undergraduate students for college costs, like tuition and fees, room and board, and living expenses. The financial aid administrator will determine your Pell Grant Award based on your expected family contribution (EFC) from your FAFSA and the number of credit hours in which you are enrolled.

Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)

This grant is available to undergraduate students with exceptional financial need who are enrolled at least half-time.

State Programs

Illinois Student Assistance Commission

Monetary Award Program (MAP)

This program provides need-based grants for payment of tuition and mandatory fees. You must be a resident of Illinois and be enrolled in at least 3 credit hours at an Illinois college or university in a degree or certificate program.

Illinois National Guard Grant Program (ING)

Members of the Illinois National Guard are eligible to receive a grant that is not based on financial need. This grant will pay for tuition and some fees for students studying at Illinois public colleges, universities and community colleges. There is no minimum enrollment requirement. Students must apply each year by the deadline.

Illinois Veterans Grant (IVG)

Pays tuition and approved fees to qualified Illinois veterans with at least one year of active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces and who served honorably. Veterans must have resided in Illinois six months prior to entering the service and must have returned to Illinois within six months of leaving the service.

MIA/POW Scholarship

Pay in-district tuition if you are the dependent of a person who was an Illinois resident at the time he/she enetered active duty and has been declared to be a prisoner of war, missing in action, dead as a result of a service-connected cause as recognized by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs or the U.S. Department of Defense, you may be eligible to receive the MIA/POW Scholarship. This scholarship may be used at public colleges in Illinois, and is administered by the Illinois Department of Veterans' Affairs.

For more information, contact Tracy Smith at 217-782-3564 or visit the Illinois Department of Veterans' Affairs website.

Other Illinois Scholarships

Self-Help Aid

Includes work opportunities and loans. It's called self-help because you take responsibility for receiving this type of aid. Work-Study allows you to earn money while you are in college. Student loans assist students with educational expenses while in college.

Federal Work-Study (FWS)

Eligibility for this program is based on financial need. The program provides on- and off-campus jobs for undergraduate students who are enrolled at least half-time. Eligible students earn the federal minimum wage.

Interested students should inquire in the Financial Aid Office and complete student worker applications in the Student Services Center.

Direct Loans

Interested students should inquire about applying for loans in the Financial Aid Office. Loan Entrance Counseling and a Master Promissary Note are required.

There are two types of loans - Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans

Eligibility for subsidized loans is based on financial need. For subsidized loans, the federal government pays the interest while you are enrolled at least half-time, during your grace period, and during authorized deferment periods.

With unsubsidized loans, you are responsible for paying the interest. Unsubsidized loans are not based on financial need and can be used if you are enrolled at least half-time and you have limited or no subsidized loan eligibility.

Footer divider graphic


Employment Opportunities
Faculty & Staff E-Mail
News & Events
Student E-Mail

Alumni Development Office
RCC Foundation

Academic Programs
Course Catalog
Course Schedule
Dual Credit Courses

Non-Credit Course Offerings



Adult Education / GED
Liberal Arts
Continuing & Professional Education
Correctional Education
Economic Dev & Workforce Solutions
Health Professions
Mathematics, Sciences, & Business
VP of Academic Services
VP of Student Services

Business Services
Campus Security
Human Resources
Institutional Effectiveness
Office of the President

Campus Life


Customized Corporate Training
Facility Rental

Academic Success Center - Accommodations
Academic Success Center - Mathematics Enrichment Center
Academic Success Center - Tutoring
Academic Success Center - Testing
Business Office (Bursar/Cashier)
Career Services
Financial Aid
Library (Learning Resources Center)
Online Learning
Records & Transcripts
Transfer Center
Veterans Affairs

Board of Trustees
Contacting the College
Employee Directory
Extension Centers
Maps & Directions
Office of Public Information 
Tuition and Fees

Decatur Community Partnership
Project READ
Progress City USA



Richland Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age in its programs. The following person(s) has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies:
Alex Berry, Title IX Coordinator at phone 217-875-7211 EX 6314
Leanne Brooks, 504 Coordinator, at phone 217-875-7211 EX 6362
For further information on notice of nondiscrimination, visit for the address and phone number of the office that serves your area, or call 1-800-421-3481.